Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Jewelry Making


I LOVE JEWELRY. I love making jewelry, reading about making jewelry, watching videos about making jewelry and teaching jewelry making. However, I'm picky about my jewelry creations.  If they're not quite right, I take them apart and reuse the beads.  I have a basket in my work space that is full of bracelets, necklaces and earrings that, for one reason or another, are waiting to be recycled into something more pleasing.

I am recently enamored with wire and wire wrapping.  I like the way you can hammer, twist and otherwise manipulate wire to create interesting shapes. I've been working with copper wire, mainly because precious metals are too, well, precious.  I simply can't afford to work with silver and gold wire while I learn how to get the wire to do what I want it to do.  Copper wire is cheap.  I buy it at the hardware store.  If the piece doesn't work out, I toss it with no regrets and start again.  For every piece I think is pretty good, there's a couple feet of mangled copper wire in the trash can.

So is it worth the time, frustration and wasted wire?  When I finally get something I like - oh, yes!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty! You should start an etsy shop and sell your jewelery there! Love the blog. Look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save that mangled copper and sell it back!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment.