- buy the smallest packages that fit the requirements of the coupon and the sale. If several different size boxes of tea are on sale and you have $__off any size coupons - do not buy the biggest boxes. Buy the smallest boxes and you'll save more money. Lipton Tea 16 count on sale for $1.06 each. I had two $0.60/1 coupons. My cost = $0.46 each; less than the sale cost of one.
- feel free to go to a store to buy only one or two items. Resisting the lure of the items you don't have coupons for will save you money. The dish detergent was on sale $1 each, and they had a buy 5 get a $1 Register Reward going. I bought 5 ($5). I had three $0.25/1 coupons ($4.25).
- look for opportunities to combine a sale, a loyalty reward, a manufacturer's coupon and a store coupon. I bought two FrizzEase products. Normally $8.00 each, on sale for $6.00 each ($12), had two $1/1 coupons ($10), a $4 ExtraBucks loyalty coupon ($6). For buying $10 or more of this brand, I received a $3 ExtraBucks for my next shopping trip, bringing this purchase down to $3.00 or $1.50 each. Not bad for Frizz-Ease! THIS WAS ALL I BOUGHT AT CVS.
- plan your shopping based on what you use regularly, your current inventory, the sales and the coupons you have. It makes no sense to buy cheap ______ if you hate that brand and won't use it. I bought several bottles of Dove Shower Wash when it was super cheap last summer, only to discover that I don't like it. Gave it away = lost money.
- be flexible and try new products or brands if the price is right. New Crunchy Nut cereals were on sale 2/$5. I had a store coupon Buy One Get One Free ($2.50) and two $1/1 manufacturer's coupons ($0.50). My cost = $0.25 each. The price was right.
- Catalina coupons are manufacturer's coupons and can be used at any store. The Luna bar coupon was a Catalina that I got at Jewel. It was good for a free bar up to $1.00. Luna bars are $1.25 at Jewel. I redeemed it at Target, where Luna bars are on sale for .99. Free. There was a moment's confusion when the cashier saw it was issued at Jewel. I (nicely, alway nicely) pointed out that it said Manufacturer's Coupon and he keyed it through. Free lunch. Literally. I had this free Luna bar for lunch. Take that coupon to the store and get that free item. Free is FREE!