Monday, September 17, 2012

Cleaning the Stove - part 2

In an earlier post, I shared how I clean my stove top with oven cleaner.  The grates and burners get nasty with burned on grease too.  Here's how I clean them in my self-cleaning oven.

In a previous home, I had pale grey stove grates and burner covers.  No matter how much I soaked or scrubbed, that burned on grease and food wouldn't come off.  They were so nasty looking I was going to buy new ones. One day I was setting the oven to Clean and and grumbled to myself that the part of the stove everyone could see should be at least as easy to clean as the oven.  I figured, "Why not? What's the worst that could happen?  If they're ruined, I was planning on buying new ones anyway..."



Place dirty grates and burners on oven racks.  Make sure they aren't touching.  (I don't know if it truly matters, but that's how I do it).

Close the oven, remove combustibles (dish towels) that you may have hanging on the oven handle.  Set it to Clean.  If you have the option, set it to a 2 hour cycle.

The next morning, after everything has cooled.  Remove the grates and burners.  

See those grey spots?  That's ash where stubborn, burned on grease and food used to be.

These burner tops were spattered too.  Now just rinse and towel dry.
It's the smarter, easier way to clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.