Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pretty Jewelry

A couple days ago, I shared the World's Ugliest Necklace.  Here's a necklace and earring set I'm proud to admit I made:

They were inspired by the pleating on this dress and shoes:


I bought them at Your Best Friend's Closet.  The dress was brand new and still had the $330.00 price tag on it.  I got it for $70.40 and the shoes for $8.30.  AND I had a full punch card, so I got $10 off.  Woo-hoo!
Would I lie?
I wore them to the Schlachtfest at the Donauschwaben with Walt's parents, Anna and Nick.  They have been members since shortly after immigrating to the U.S. in 1952.  Schlachtfest is a fall harvest festival and the food centers around pork, which is traditionally slaughtered and preserved in the fall.  We had a nice time talking with their longtime friends.
Anna, Walt and Nick


Anna, Nick, Ellie and Ingrid

There was plenty of German food. Appetizers were rye bread, liver sausage, head cheese, cracklings and dill pickles. Dinner was cabbage rolls, sweet sour cole slaw, boiled potatoes, Hungarian wurst and pork roast with gravy.
 After dinner came the coffee and cookie parade!  The jugend (youth group) carried platters piled high with homemade cookies and pastries, circling around the room to music before delivering to each table.  They also were our waitresses, dressed sweetly in traditional attire. 
The Cookie Parade

 They also performed several dances, songs and poem recitations in their ancestrial dialect.  I wasn't surprised to learn that they had earned the Silver Award (2nd place) in the championships.
Me and Walt.  I'm wearing the jewelry I made.  My hair is NOT red.  I don't know why it looks like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.