Friday, August 31, 2012

Mock Ovgo-Lemono (Greek Lemon Chicken Rice Soup)



When I moved from the city of Chicago to the far northwest suburbs there were many things I was happy to leave behind:  traffic, lack of parking, dirt, lack of nature.  One of the things I still miss, decades later are the wonderful Greek restaurants. You can occasionally find one or two Greek items on the menu out here, but I miss those little mom-and-pop places with the amazing food.  One of our family favorites is Ovgo-Lemono, a thick, creamy egg chicken lemon rice soup.

I really missed it.  The authentic way to make it involves raw chicken, cooked rice and many egg yolks.  So  I figured out how to make a knockoff that's foolproof, easy and pretty close to the taste and textures of the real deal.


Just three ingredients (four, if I ever remember to add oregano), one pot, less than 10 minutes.

Dump undiluted Cream of Chicken and Chicken with Rice soups (and a pinch of oregano) in a saucepan and whisk to combine.

Heat to a simmer and add lemon juice from a bottle.  Stir.  Serve. Yum.

Greek Lemon Rice Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.