|Spaghetti squash, eggplant, yellow squash, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.|
When one day's harvest is as bountiful as this, I have to get as many as I can in one meal, because I simply need to eat them all. Seriously. They call to me. Here's what I came up with, it's simple, incredibly low calorie - only 231 for a very generous entree serving, and bursting with flavor.
Scrubbed, halved vertically and seeded, I placed them cut side down and added 1/4 cup of water, covered tightly and microwaved on High for 10 minutes. When they were tender, I drained them well and returned them to the microwave and set it to Keep Warm. My spaghetti squash were home grown and small, so I used two and cooked them in batches.
Meanwhile, the time was up on the veggies. I gave them a stir and returned them to the oven for another 10 minutes. I love those browned bits. Brown = flavor :) Then I dumped a jar of pasta sauce in a large pot and set it to heat to a simmer. I used Prego Garden Chunky with Baby Portabella. (Got it on sale, natch). The browned, softened veggies were gently stirred into the pasta sauce. Then the plating began.
I scraped the spaghetti squash into serving bowls with a fork.
Added the sauce and veggies combination.
And sprinkled with grated parmesan.
This is so full of flavor from the roasted vegetables that it is completely satisfying. Happy-Dance-in-the-Chair good. I had planned on serving bread and butter with it and totally forgot. Didn't matter. Walt was so happy with the healthy-ness of it that he went out and bought some ice cream. Because we had bananas to use up. I didn't feel quite so guilty eating ice cream after this meal.
Cooking from my garden makes many meals very inexpensive. For this meal I only had to buy oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, pasta sauce and cheese, all of which I already had in the pantry. The spaghetti squash, eggplant, yellow squash, bell pepper, and tomatoes came from the garden = almost free.
Here is a link to the printable recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-garden-vegetables-with-spaghetti-squash-484654
And here is the recipe:
Roasted Garden Vegetables with Spaghetti Squash
1 (2 1/2 - 3 lb.) spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2 yellow squash (or zucchini or one of each), cut into 1/4" slices
2 roma tomatoes, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup onion, cut into 1/2" pieces
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (24 ounce) jar pasta sauce
6 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss all vegetables, except spaghetti squash with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spray an 11x17" pan with nonstick and add vegetables in a single layer. Use 2 pans if needed.
- Place into hot oven and roast 20 minutes.
- Stir and roast 10 minutes longer.
- Place halved and seeded spaghetti squash cut side down in a microwavable dish, add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook on High 10 minutes or until tender. If your microwave doesn't have a turntable, turn it often. You may need to cook it in batches, but that's fine.
- When the spaghetti squash is tender, drain well and keep warm until vegetables are done.
- Heat pasta sauce in a large pot to a simmer.
- When vegetables are roasted, add them to the pasta sauce and stir gently to coat.
- Holding the spaghetti squash half in a pot holder or oven mitt, gently scrape the strands with a fork onto 6 serving dishes.
- Top each dish with vegetables and sauce; sprinkle with parmesan.