Spring cleaning came around and I washed the twill curtains that were hanging on my slider doors. I ironed them and hung them. One panel was at least 3" shorter than the other. I've washed them before and they hadn't shrunk. Why now? What a waste of fabric. I went and bought new non-twill curtains (having learned my lesson about the vagaries of twill). I started thinking about the footstool, and the ruined curtains, and how much sturdy fabric they contained.
So I did some internet research. Do you know that there aren't ANY patterns for recovering a drum shaped footstool? Apparently, you throw them out and buy new. Not this girl scout.
I wondered, I pondered, I mulled it over and thought maybe I can cut a circle of fabric for the top, and stitch it to a length of fabric for the sides, and put some quilt padding in it to fill in where the buttons were...
So one day, I dragged out the sewing machine, the mending basket, the ruined curtains and my good scissors (that only I know where they're stored). I took a deep breath and said to myself "Here goes".
|I turned it upside down on the fabric.|
|Roughly cut around it.|
|Trimmed it closer into a circle.|
|Cut a length of fabric to wrap around the stool.|
|Pinned and stitched the two together. Having the circle on the bottom and the long length on top made it easier to sew.|
|Gave it a trial fit; took it off and placed a few layers of quilt batting between the fabric and the footstool.|
Replaced the cover, upended it again, and trimmed off the excess length.
|Using my handy-dandy Black & Decker staple gun I tugged the fabric taut, folded the raw edge under and alternated stapling (12:00-6:00, 9:00-3:00, 1:00-7:00, etc.) to keep it evenly centered within the top circle.|
|Here it is.|
Please comment, I need a pat on the back after that!